Monday, May 11, 2015

Angel wings




We have been collecting Angel Wings again this year!

Anyone who goes out to walk the beach looks for these delicate and beautiful little shells in the sand.

Connected by just a thin little piece of tissue, these shells show up on the beach left by the waves.  Sometimes the waves are too strong and you will find them broken apart, but mostly they are "Angel wings".  Strange, because the harder and bigger shells are always broken, but these tiny and delicate little shells come through the pounding of the surf.

They come in purple most often...the royalty color; or streaked with yellow, or rarely, solid yellow like the one in the photo above.   Rarely you will find pink....  Some are almost solid royal, some are streaked with purple and mostly white.  And some are White!

In 2012 I found solace each day in finding pairs of Angel Wings, and it was funny that I always found white ones....REAL angel wings.  I was very sick in 2012;  an 8 inch tumor was found in my retro-peritoneal space. My doctor told me I could not go to the beach because we were preparing for surgery, and then he changed his mind and let me go.  Just like this year, dear friends came with us and suffered with me during each day's telephone calls with doctors and floods of tears at the diagnosis....cancer.  But then it wasn't cancer, and then it was.  They were going to do immediate surgery and I needed to be prepared to go back to Atlanta at any time; and then they finally put off the surgery for 6 months.  The medical "tissue board" at Winship Cancer Center at Emory University could not go forward with the surgery at that time.  The tumor was so large and was pressing on my aortic artery, my right kidney, the nerve and arterial structure on my right side, and on and on. They needed time to study it and watch the growth of the mass.

The Angel Wings, for me, were signs from the Lord that all would be well. Through the tears and concern, God was with me.  I felt very alone sometimes, but I was not alone at all.  Every day I found a pair of white Angel Wings in the sand, and every day found hope in them  Others found Angel wings too and brought them back to add to the collection, just like we are doing again this year. I was so sick, and yet I knew that God would heal me.  Six months later, I had emergency surgery to remove the tumor.  It had become to oppressive to body structure, and my organs were not working properly.  It was time to finally make me well.

This year we are collecting Angel Wings for Bill+ and Sheila's grandchildren...not for a sad reason, or a bad reason but for happy times, for the children to have shells of their own of all kinds.
and Angel Wings..............

No comments:

Post a Comment